UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:15:44 -0500
Unfortunately, some persons have been using email addresses that
vary from the UTC Official standard email address. Such as using
a period or a underscore, instead of a dash, or the use of a
different first name. The new system, as do most email systems
available today, require an accurate address to insure delivery
to the correct mail box. With thousands of email addresses and many
names very similar, a close, but not exact, match could lead
to delivery to the wrong party. Like phone numbers, email addresses
need to be accurate.  The new system is also standards based and
enforces Internet email standards to protect it's own integrity.
In this time of computer security worries, this is an understandable
limitation.  It may have turned away a few emails that do not conform
to the standards.

On the unsolicited email (spam), there has been a significant
rise in spam nationwide in the last month. What we're seeing is
only a small part of what is actually being attempted to be
delivered.  Spamming has moved more and more from a simple front
line assault to a fast run and shoot, if you will, guerrilla,
offense, making defense more difficult. We are working to implement
the anti-spam capabilities that the new email system provides,
which should further reduce the spam coming to our mailboxes.
These abilities are another reason we choose the new system.
We expect to have it running in a few weeks.

Thanks for your time and understanding,
Richard

--
Richard L Gambrell, Director of Computing Systems and Networks
Information Technology Division, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga