UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Mike McIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike McIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:17:13 -0500
1.  Senator Robert Byrd, September 6, 1996 agreeing with Clinton.
2.  Tom Daschle, in 1998 during the Clinton era.
3.  Again, Tom Daschle arguing for bipartisan participation from the
Republicans in support of Clinton.
4.  John Kerry, September, 1996.
5.  Bill Clinton in a report to the UN, and during the process of trying
not to get Impeached.

At 01:24 PM 3/20/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Five quotes follow.  Who said them?
>

>1-  To those who would doubt the necessity of the actions by the
>president, one should pose the question as to what the consequences would
>be in the face of American inaction. First, clearly, no other country
>would take the lead. The signature of the current era is such that
>response to aggression will not be taken up by other powers in the absence
>of American leadership, unfortunately. This was the case in the invasion
>of Kuwait. It was the case in Bosnia when, after several years of Western
>inaction in the face of ethnic atrocities in Bosnia, only the United
>States, only the United States, could bring about a credible, effective
>implementation of peace in that sorry part of Europe. . . . It is American
>leadership which is decisive to the peace in these regions…
>
>2- "Look, we have exhausted virtually our diplomatic effort to get the
>Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law.
>Given that, what other option is there but to force them to do so? . . .
>The answer is, we don't have another option. We have got to force them to
>comply, and we are doing so militarily."
>
>3- I hope Saddam Hussein and those who are in control of the Iraqi
>government clearly understand the resolve and determination of this
>administration and this country. This may be a political year, . . . but
>on this issue there can be no disunity. There can be no lack of cohesion.
>We stand united, Republicans and Democrats, determined to send as clear a
>message with as clear a resolve as we can articulate: Saddam Hussein's
>actions will not be tolerated. His willingness to brutally attack Kurds in
>northern Iraq and abrogate U.N. resolutions is simply unacceptable. We
>intend to make that point clear with the use of force, with the use of
>legislative language, and with the use of other actions that the president
>and the Congress have at their disposal.
>
>4. “None of us knows why Saddam decided to test us now.  But if the
>history of the last six years has taught us anything, it is that Saddam
>Hussein does not understand diplomacy, he only understands power, and when
>he brandishes power in a manner that threatens our interests or violates
>internationally accepted standards of behavior, we must be prepared to
>respond--and with force if necessary.”  Such force might well be used
>unilaterally: "The United States under President Bush and then President
>Clinton, led these earlier efforts to contain Saddam. Whereas some of our
>allies in the region are constrained from acting on this occasion, we are not."
>
>5.  The hard fact is that so long as Saddam remains in power, he threatens
>the well-being of his people, the peace of his region, the security of the
>world.
>
>The best way to end that threat once and for all is with a new Iraqi
>government -- a government ready to live in peace with its neighbors, a
> [...]

Mike McIntyre, Ed.S
College of Education and Applied Professional Studies
Teacher Preparation Academy
Department 4154
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403