HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:53:56 -0600
It depends on what you mean by "terminated properly".  As far as I know,
Ldev 10 is used to simply take up an entry in the device tables.  I am not
aware that the driver even interacts with the physical device in any way at
boot time or any other time.  I would be surprised if it did, for two
reasons.  1, there is NO device 10 and 2, the SCSI ID for that device is 9,
which in invalid for SE SCSI.  SE SCSI can only have IDs ranging from 0 to 7
with the latter is usually associated with the HBA or controller card.

If you look in sysgen, you will see that Ldev 10 has two modes declared in
it, Job and Data accepting (JA).   Other tape ldevs do not have this
(terminals and consoles have JAID,) so this perhaps signals to the OS to
ignore such device at boot time and (especially since LLIO would never find
ID 9) to simply enable them in the device tables.

But as for termination itself, if there are no external devices on the SE
port, it does not need a terminator.  As long as there are no conflicting ID
settings with the internal devices, even if you do not terminate the
external sting it should not have any impact on the internal devices, the
ones on the other side of the card.

Our 928RX may or may not have an external device attached to that SE SCSI
port and when it does not, the port is not terminated.  There have been no
deleterious effects on the system.

Denys