HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:51:46 +0100
Yosef wrote :

> (BTW, if you notice I never call the leader of Iraq by his
> first name only. This is not out of any respect to the man or
> his office.
> The use of his first name only is, at least in his eyes, a term of
> endearment. I do not wish to endear myself to him or him to me.)

Same here. It is however my knowledge that, in Arab countries, the family
name comes first and the "first" name comes last. So in Saddam Hussein,
Saddam is indeed his family name and Hussein his "first" name. The same
happens in China : Mao Zedong was referred to as Chairman Mao, much the way
George Bush is referred to as President Bush.

Is this correct ? Can anyone with more exposure than I have with Arab/Asian
countries confirm ? Or deny ?

Christian, who would probably be called Lheureux Christian in the Arab
world.