HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:27:38 -0800
Christian - you ask "why now" in re: the desire to be rid of Saddam and your
question has merit. After Gulf War l (with hindsight) many ask (including
myself) why Bush 1 didn't simply go on to Baghdad. Norman Schwartzkopf said
at one point he was 40 miles from Saddam and was ordered not to proceed.

I have heard from another source (unverified) that a Navy Seal team
(commandos) actually had Saddam in their sights and were ordered to "stand
down". Bush 1 will say that the UN resolution didn't include going to
Baghdad - simply removing Iraq from Kuwait. And he knew that he would lose
the support of his coalition - the Arab coalition.

And, if you want to throw in some Machiavellian logic, it wasn't/isn't in
the interest of the US to allow a weak and fractured Iraq - taken over by
radical Iran with more Islamic  fundamentalism.

However, because of our not "finishing" some wars,  look at North Korea - we
stopped the fighting in 1953 and have paid for it in troop deployments along
a tense DMZ.

To your question of "why now" I say again, the dynamics of our foreign
policy have shifted radically since 9/11. I would say that Bush ll's desire
to rid Saddam now is a race against time -

Here's some more food for thought since our last conversation - some are
worried that Saddam has sent some vials of bio weapons or chemical weapons
in diplomatic pouches around the world - to be used in Europe and America
when Gulf War 2 starts. Wouldn't surprise me.

As to France's resistance I have since heard 2 theories - first, France
wants to lead a strong EU and they want to prevent expanded American
influence in the middle east. Second, France and Germany have sold Hussein a
lot of "dual use" items that can be used to build these weapons - and
obviously don't want these publicized.

 Finally, if Saddam is removed, what do you think will be the feeling of the
new govt if they find that France & Germany have supported Saddam?

Just food for thought; throwing these questions/ideas out for your
consideration.

respectfully submitted,

Bill Brandt

________

Christian asked:

I may agree with that, but, as I wrote in another post, why now ? Why not in
1991 when the troops were on the field and all the nations were belonging to
one grand coalition ? Why not in 1998 when Saddam kicked out the inspectors