HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:08:57 -0600
Jeff brings up some good points.  I would like to add these thoughts for
consideration.

A few people complain about the OT threads on this list, but I notice that
the count of recipients of OT messages is very similar to the count of
non-OT messages when I send a message to this list.  This tells me very few
people have exercised the OT filtering.  I realize this was mentioned a few
days ago, but stay with me on this.  Now, the non-OT posts have never, to my
knowledge been ignored or not posted in time because of an OT thread.
(Actually, there were a few instances of the list reaching a daily quota a
few times some years back, but if I remember the topic it was something
incredibly silly.)  If the OT posts were to interfere with the on topic
posts AND if the number of people blocking these posts were at least a
reasonable fraction of the total audience, then I would say that OT posts
should be reduced or eliminated.  But this is not the case here.

A few more thoughts.  The HP 3000 is coming to EOL and there has really been
no new development on MPE in quite a while.  I do not want to say that all
questions have been answered, but there are very few new questions now.  The
FAQs are very good, the list archives are excellent, only some of the more
esoteric questions seem to get posted now.  And, as I pointed out, these
questions get answered very quickly, regardless of the OT load.

I have also noticed that people complain when there are not posts whatsoever
on the list.  It is difficult to believe that you could fill the bucket, so
to speak, with on-topic posts only.  Those days are gone.

I would venture to say a lot of OT posts are placed here by people who know
they will not get flamed or attacked the way I have seen other lists behave.
Everyone here is a professional and many of us personally know a lot of the
frequent and less frequent posters.  It has been my privilege and my great
pleasure to meet many of you over the years and I look forward to continuing
to do so for years to come.

It is also refreshing to see people who may have very different points of
view about a certain subject jump in and help each other whenever help is
requested.  Again, this goes back to the professionalism and the civility
found on this list, which is something rare in this world.

Denys