HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:33:07 -0800
At  10:26 AM 2/17/2003, Bill Brandt wrote:
>I will start putting an "OT" in front of the subject

It is "OT:".  See my prior rant at:
http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0212a&L=hp3000-l&F=&S=&P=1214

At this point, I'm almost willing to accept almost anything concerning
computers as "on-topic".

At the risk of committing a major breech of netiquette I'll quote a message
I received off-list from a frequent "wildly off topic" contributor to HP3000-L:
>However, if the group is to change and merely become a social club,
>discussing the latest trends in computing and digital cameras, then I
>would undoubtedly go. I too am an adult. I have no interest in long-winded
>off-topic subjects (unless they're really long-winded and truly off-topic).

Personally, I happen to find commentary on digital cameras of great
interest.  However, mailing lists and newsgroups are topical and I think
for good reason.  And the one thing that really annoys me are non-technical
"religious arguments" on a technical forum.  I consider anything
controversial where speculation and/or subjective assessment determines the
"winner" a "religious argument"; e.g. vi-emacs, bash-ksh-csh-sh,
Qedit-ProgrammerStudio, Charmin-Scott, Kenmore-GE, Bush-Gore,
Nixon-Kennedy, et cetera ad nauseum.

And remember, people, this is an international list.  There are a lot of
folks reading this that are *not* United States citizens.  Let's not act
like North America is the only possible center of the universe.

FWIW, after at least 9 years of almost continuous HP3000-L and
comp.sys.hp.mpe participation I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this
forum.

--
Jeff Woods
"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one