HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:02:38 -0600
The four Canadian soldiers who were killed accidentally were Patricias.
They were members of the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry out of
Edmonton.  This unit has a proud, long and distinguished history.

http://www.glanmore.org/ppclimemorial.html

I offer the following link for a story from a Canadian journalist who was in
Afghanistan when the event occurred. I draw your attention to the last few
paragraphs.

http://www.canada.com/national/features/friendlyfire/story.html?id=2450B6E6-
BFED-46D5-93C4-0424E1C96067

This weekend's Houston Barnacle (Chronicle) has a front-page story about
friendly fire.  During Operation Desert Storm, an Apache pilot mistakenly
shot at two "unidentified" vehicles, killing two American Soldiers.  The
pilot lives in San Antonio and discusses the event in detail.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/1779841

You should understand the lethality of today's weapons increases the
likelihood of friendly fire deaths.  In the past, if someone shot at a tank,
it would simply disable it and people could get out.  In Desert Storm, two
A-10 pilots shot two British vehicles with Maverick missiles.  People do not
walk away from such an event.

You might want to look at this page and download the short movie.  It is
sobering.

http://www.missilesandfirecontrol.com/our_products/antiarmor/LOSAT/product-L
OSAT.html

I hope and pray every day that we do not have to go to war.  I hope beyond
hope that Saddam will get religion and either totally comply or walk away.

I fear even more leaving him there.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

Denys