HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:44:29 -0800
Donna said:

> *however* i was probably preaching to the choir in my first
> post.  the 'core'
> members of 3000-l are the folks that knew enough to even go
> looking for a mpe
> resource.  but there are lots (too many) of shops that
> haven't got a bloody clue
> about where to turn.  by chance (or dumb luck?) they show up
> on the list every
> so often asking for help.  and i know as well, there are
> folks out there (3000-l
> 'membership' or not) who have *no* budget for their mpe
> system(s) -- so the
> ideal's and beechglen's and allegro's of the world aren't an option.

If you cannot afford continuing support and cannot afford per incident
support, then you are making the decision that you CAN afford to be down
indefinitely while you try to get someone to help you for free or next to
free.

Not to pick on Matthew directly, but apparently his organization cannot
afford to be down indefinitely since he took the rather drastic step of
moving his systems to get WAN connectivity restored. Someone in his
organization is derelict in not having some plan for support. Again, things
break. A corollary to that is things break at the most inconvenient time.

John