HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:00:25 +0100
John wrote...

>CI functions: Call script/UDC & return value

>This enhancement would empower the community to add functionality to the CI.
>For example, wrap the program above in a script or UDC that handles input
>and returns TRUE or FALSE and you have a ISPRINTER(LDEV) function that you
>can integrate into your script. Note also, that the VOLINFO, DEVINFO and
>SPOOLINFO functions can be created this same way BY USERS IN THE COMMUNITY.

Wouldn't it also be a viable workaround to have the community-supplied
program (in your example) return the result via HPCIPUTVAR to HPRESULT
or another variable that might have been named via the INFO string? It
could then be used in expressions for IF, WHILE, etc.

Don't get me wrong. The CI enhancements like function results would be
nice, but I suspect that the effort might be high and maybe they would
only be provided as patch for the very latest MPE version(s), whereas
relatively "straightforward" workarounds could be used in all versions.

Lars (obviously not speaking for Jeff Vance here ;-)