HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:46:45 -0800
On Wednesday 19 February 2003 5:26 pm, Adam Dorritie wrote:
> Make note of the symbol in the chart that corresponds to your
> first result.  "Try again" and note the symbol that corresponds
> to the same result.  Are they the same?

[actually, if the "program" can rearrange the "not-the-right-one" symbols, it
can also choose a new "the right one" symbol for the final result]

I still can't view the "movie", but interestingly enough, my browser also
IGNORES the bit of javascript attached to the front of the page to prevent
"right clicks"; from here  I was able to see the "text" of the movie, which
basically says "take a two digit number, add them together, and subtract from
the original"  It doesn't take too long to realize that the resulting number
will always be some multiple of 9 -- 10-1, 11-2, 12-3 all =9; 20-2, 21-3,
22-4 all =18; etc.

[...]
> all possible results will always be the same.  Don't ask me for
> the proof (I don't have that kind of energy), but the resulting
> number will always have digits that total "9".

That lead me to the clue as to where to look under google -- I seem to recall
an accounting method called "casting out nines", and sure enough, a search
returned:

http://www.jimloy.com/number/nines.htm
http://www.jimloy.com/number/modular.htm
http://www.jimloy.com/number/elevens.htm