HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
John Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:31:43 +1100
I know that in the UX area there are tools to help find leaks in code.
We once used one to check path flow analysis, and a side benefit was
malloc/free pair checking, IIRC. This involved a pre-processor pass over the
code that inserted code at each conditional branch, and at run time this
code logged the path taken to a file. At the end of the testing you could
summarize the logs to show what % of all the possible paths had been
exercised. Along the way it could also trap Mallocs and Frees and log them
for analysis. The only unfreed areas would be those that held global data
that lived for the whole run.
HTH
jp