HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:02:20 EST
Denys writes:

> I have watched the slide show several times.  Now, I seem to remember you
>  stating categorically a few weeks back, that you had never seen a science
>  fiction quotation appear in a technical or scientific presentation.
However
>  one of the slides (13) on the NASA slide show quotes "Le Petit Prince" from
>  St. Exupery.  You will probably split hairs and say that a) St-Ex was not a
>  Sci-Fi writer and b) this is not a technical or scientific presentation.

Those are not "hairs." They are the 40-ton logs that crush you.

As for St. Exupery, a few other relevant quotes (relevant to even what we all
do on a daily basis) are:

     "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast
and endless sea."

     "As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

     "A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man
contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."

     "You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away."

     "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential
is invisible to the eye."

     "Transport of the mails, transport of the human voice, transport of
flickering pictures - in this century, as in others, our highest
accomplishments still have the single aim of bringing men together."

     "Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit."

     "The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but
plunges us more deeply into them."

     "There is no hope of joy except in human relations."

Wirt Atmar