HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

Dave Oksner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:19:49 -0800
Did you recently change your FTP program?  It sounds like you are unable to
do Active FTP and your FTP client program doesn't know to switch to Passive
mode automatically (or by default).  Try putting the FTP client program
into passive mode (sometimes as easy as typing 'passive' at the first prompt
you get) or using another client (ncftp on unix works well, and AbsoluteFTP/
SecureFX by Van Dyke Technology all seem to take care of this for me when
I've used them).

Dave

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:02:32PM -0600, Eric Sand - STL wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>     I have a question about FTP and its use with a Linksys router that
> connects my home network with my ISP. I have discovered that FTP no longer
> is functional on my home network, for the 918LX and my two MS2000 desktops.
> In the "port forwarding" Linksys screen I have port 21 coming in directed to
> the 918LX, but as far as I can tell I have no restrictions on FTPing out.
> When I attempt to connect to an FTP address from the MS2000 systems I am
> prompted for the username and password on the target FTP server and I am
> informed I have signed on, but there is no other response forthcoming such
> as  the results of a "dir" or "ls", and I am then disconnected. An outgoing
> FTP server connection request on the 918LX returns with "Cannot connect to
> host".
>
>     What am I missing? I know this was working a short time ago, or so I
> thought.
>

>             Thanks....Eric Sand

+--David Oksner-----http://www.case.net/--+
|!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH       |