HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
"Cappell, Curtis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cappell, Curtis
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:27:07 -0500
Yet another viewpoint extracted from another list:

<< We have become so accustomed to the technological marvels around us,
and the talent and dedication of the people that make it all work, that
even an event as astounding as a group of fragile human beings leaving
the confines of the world that has held them for millions of years and
returning to ground safely was not even noted as "news".  The media
that did mention the event only did so because of the nationality of
one of the group - a stark irony when you consider that the one thought
that is expressed by all astronauts (of any nationality) when they
escape the Earth and look back at her "from a distance" is the fragile
beauty of this tiny mote, and the oneness of the human family. The
insanity of our petty differences over land, resources, skin color and
philosophies is perfectly clear from orbit.

The complexities of our cell phones, internet links, 737's, and
microwave ovens are never even noticed until they don't work properly.
Stop and think about accelerating your fragile bag of bones, chemicals,
and water to more than 20 times the speed of sound.  Think about the
air you breath, the water that flows at the touch of a handle, the
blanket of warmth that surrounds us in our homes, offices, and cars.
Now take all that away and drift naked through the emptiness of space.
A thin shell of aluminum, titanium, and ceramics is all that separates
astronauts from that stark world.  We lose sight of the courage
required  to risk all that we depend on for survival on the technical
expertise of strangers, the calculations of engineers, and the skill of
craftsman.  And even when everyone involved has done their part to the
best of their ability and knowledge, space is a dark mistress and does
not suffer well our fledging flights from the nest.

If there is any comfort, it is in knowing that each member of the
Columbia crew boarded that vessel with eyes wide open, fully cognizant
of the risks involved and the real possibility of never returning to
the nest.  Yet they boarded.  For their thoughts went beyond their own
lives and circumstances, they knew they were possibly sacrificing all
they knew for that which is yet unknown.  When future discoverers and
explorers "stand upon the shoulders of giants", these seven will bear
more than their share of the weight.

Travel safely,  hug your loved ones, and stop in the dark of night to
admire the stars and those that reject the bonds of their humanity to
stretch out and  touch them.

                - kenn lippert  >>