HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:38:46 -0800
John Wolff wrote:
[snip]

>It would have been interesting to see if MPE/iX would have
>survived had the CSY division not pulled the plug prior to
>the merger product decision process.  Unfortunately we will
>never know.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?W20E51453

From the above referenced link:
Gorham estimates that about 400,000 servers still run OpenVMS. It's
in use at about 2,000 hospitals.

Given those customers, and the fact that the OpenVMS business
is profitable, it wasn't hard for HP to decide to keep it
alive, Gorham said.

But at least one analyst questioned that assertion, saying that
profitable or not, it probably wasn't an easy decision for the
company to support the operating system.

"OpenVMS is a legacy play," a product that sells little outside
the existing customer base, said Illuminata analyst Gordon Haff.
"It was probably one of the closer calls HP had to make to answer
the question what did it bring forward versus what it didn't."

Sorry John, but the openvms business is 10x the mpe business. I can't
imagine mpe making the post merger cut. Also, did you catch the time
spent getting openvms to run on Itanium?  19 months... for how
many engineers in the project?

duane 'realist' percox