HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:35:56 -0600
At 11:45 AM 2/7/2003, Paul H. Christidis wrote:
>There is also a concern as to why this error occurred now.  We are one of
>those sites that have 'homesteaded' at MPE/iX 6.0 PP2 and no new patches
>have been installed to the system for almost one year.  The utility does
>run every week and started 'misbehaving' just a couple of days ago.
>
>I'm hoping that if someone from Bradmark is monitoring this list, he could
>shed some light in to this sudden behavior of DBGeneral (perhaps some
>expiration code is buried into the utility?).

The specific error is related to date calculations in code that was developed
in the 80s.  As a part of Y2K effort, this code logic, calculations and data
storage were re-designed when we developed a Y2K-compliant version of the
product.
Due to the nature of the issue, this code 'hit the wall' following
12/31/2002 and
not 1/1/2000 as one would have assumed for a Y2K item.

Release 7.0.30 pre-dates my joining Bradmark, which places the version
you have as 1995 or earlier, or close to 8 years old.  Although it sounds like
you patched this particular issue somewhat, it is still not a Y2K-validated
version and there may be other issues that arise, for there was no Y2K
testing conducted on this version to validate its proper behavior.  If I
recall,
this issue was addressed in a 7.2.xx product version, released well-before
Y2K.

Former customers that still utilize our products and may have simple
questions such as this, should feel free to call or drop us a note.  Our
technical support staff will try and respond to the extent that they can
under the circumstances.