HP3000-L Archives

February 2003, Week 1

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:38:00 -0500
I store them off to tape with a rolling 9 day
window and keep them nearly forever.

I use Backpack to store them to a disc backup.
The disc backup gets copied to tape later in
the day, with the other disc-to-disc backups
(since it gets overwritten every night.)

The disc-to-tape procedure also appends to a
special tape using Backpack.  As someone said
earlier last month, when you get too many appends
on DDS tape, this may harm the tape or the drive.
So I'm investigating limiting the number of
appends on one DDS.

The rolling 9 day window allows me to skip the
disc-to-tape procedure on weekends and most
holidays.  In other words, I don't have to do
it every day.  I can skip the procedure for 9
days and miss nothing.  Most of our files are
SPSAVED in batch, so they won't go away before
they are backed up.

At the beginning I also clean up some garbage,
and get rid of any "null" spoolfiles (numlines
=2.)

The latter end of the job uses a flexible LISTF,
that emulates a SHOWOUT command.  A regular
SHOWOUT or LISTSPF could be used.  The main
reason is to sort the the output by ACCOUNT
and Spool File NAME.  (It also pads the output
with spaces so that the columns line 132
columns wide.)

The file equate sends the output to FANTASIA
4-UP on a LaserJet.  The priority of 3 is what
FANTASIA looks for as a candidate.  Since the
grand total of the SHOWOUT is about 40 to 60
pages, this saves considerably in file
cabinet space.  I presume there are other
methods for printing it 4-UP.

Every couple of months or so the tape will fill
up and I match the stack of 4-UP printouts to
the tape and store them in a fireproof cabinet.
After 4 years I've only filled up 2.5 drawers
of a standard fireproof file cabinet.

Since our company has been bought and sold
2 times over the past 4 years, auditors have
requested and re-requested many of our standard
reports.  We have found out it is much easier
to RESTORE the old spool files from these tapes
than to attempt to find the original paper.
Also since they are retrieved into the Spooler
Queue the auditor can get a download to Excel
instead of paper.

(Since the record of the Spool File is stored
4-UP, you may need a magnifying glass to find
an old Spool File.)

!JOB BACKSHOW,MANAGER.SYS;HIPRI;OUTCLASS=,1
!RUN MAIN.PUB.VESOFT,MPEX
CONTINUE
yespurge /@[log in to unmask]
CONTINUE
yespurge K#######(credate < today - 30)
CONTINUE
yespurge NMLG####(accdate < today - 30)
CONTINUE
deletespoolfile @[log in to unmask]@(spool.readydate < today-9)
CONTINUE
deletespoolfile @[log in to unmask]@(spool.numlines=2)
EXIT
!SPOOLF @;SPSAVE
!RUN BP.PUB.TYM
  SELECT (@.OUT.HPSPOOL)
  COMPRESS 2 MAXERRS=5 PRIORITY DS
  STORE TO (DISC NAME BACKSHOW.VIRTUAL.TAPE)
  DISPLAY (ERRORS, PROGRESS=1)
  /GO
  EXIT
!RUN MAIN.PUB.VESOFT,MPEX
   IF HPDAY = 7 OR HPDAY = 1 THEN
     FILE SHOWOUT;DEV=1194,2;SPSAVE
   ELSE
     FILE SHOWOUT;DEV=1194,3;SPSAVE
   ENDIF
   LISTF @.OUT.HPSPOOL,SHOWOUT;*SHOWOUT
EXIT
!EOJ

----- Flexible LISTF file:  SHOWOUT.LISTF.VESOFT ---------

FOR RFILE IN MPEXFILESET
  SORT (SPOOL.ACCOUNT:8, SPOOL.FILE:8, SPOOL.USER:8, SPOOL.JSNAME:8)
  PAGEHEAD
    BEGIN
    WRITELN;
    WRITELISTFHEADER (71);
    WRITELN;
    WRITELN ('SPFile#  Filename Dev     Pri ',
   ' JOB#       :Jobname ,User    .Account    Lines Ready Date/Time');
    WRITELN;
    END
  DO
    BEGIN
      WRITE ('#O':2, SPOOL.SPOOLFILENUM:7:'L',
             SPOOL.FILE:9:'L',
             SPOOL.DEVICE:9:'L',
             SPOOL.OUTPRI:3:'L',
             STRWRITE ("#S'#S #J #J'"[3*SPOOL.JOBTYPE:3],
             SPOOL.JOBNUMBER:9:'L',
             ":",
             SPOOL.JSNAME:8,
               (IF SPOOL.JSNAME="" THEN " " ELSE ","),