UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
John Shumaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Shumaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:17:27 -0500
February 13, 2003

Dear Faculty and Staff:

Over the past few weeks, I have updated you on the State of Tennessee's
deteriorating revenue situation and Governor Phil Bredesen's expectation
that higher education institutions will share in the cutbacks. I have
promised the Governor we will be responsive and responsible, seeking ways
to address his request while minimizing the impact on students, faculty and
our academic programs.

about ways that we might achieve our promise and realize the budget
reduction goal established for The University of Tennessee. Because that
advice has been so helpful, I am issuing an invitation for all members of
the University community to send suggestions to me at
http://president.tennessee.edu/budget/. Tell us specific actions we can
take to diversify our funding base, simplify administrative systems and
streamline operations. Offer suggestions on things we can do better or stop
doing altogether. I encourage you to be realistic and constructive.

I shall consider every idea as we work together to address this revenue
shortfall, while maintaining our focus on providing Tennessee the very best
University possible.

Cordially,

John W. Shumaker
President