UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:52:31 -0500
As you may remember, some of our Lupton funds were designated for a Faculty
Summer Seminar, consisting of a week off campus to avoid distractions,
followed by a second week here. Outside speakers will be invited, as well
as UTC faculty with expertise and interest in aspects of the seminar. It is
our hope to experience some of the intellectual excitement of an NEH
seminar, and learn what others can bring to a common issue.

It is now time to invite interested faculty from all Colleges and
disciplines to apply for the seminar. The topic will be "Globalization:
products, people, politics, and pathogens," which will include both
historical (twentieth century) and environmental issues. The literature of
diaspora may also be included.

  To avoid conflict with the annual teaching workshop, the dates of the
Summer Seminar will be May 18-23 and May 27-30.
You will note that the three-day Memorial Day holiday separates these
dates, so we will break at noon on Friday May 23rd. Morning sessions will
be held on the UTC campus the second week.

The first week double rooms and board (state rate) will be provided at
Hilton Head, South Carolina. All books and other reading materials will be
supplied well beforehand, and participants will receive an honorarium of
$100 per day. Due to the intense nature of the seminar, family members may
not attend.

If you would like to participate, please contact me by email or phone
(5314). Priority will be given to inclusion of all colleges and
disciplines. Notification of initial selection will be made by February 14
(Valentines Day).

Richard Rice

History Department