UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Nikki Bonnington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:36:30 -0500
We invite the UTC Community to come by the Challenger Center to sign our
Memorial Books that we are sending to the families of the Columbia.

Challenger Center Statement on STS-107
Challenger Center for Space Science Education shares a deep sense of loss
with the crew of STS-107. Joe Allen, Chairman of the Board for Challenger
Center, said: "We at Challenger Center hold the crew of Columbia and their
families in our hearts and prayers during this difficult time, and we ask
that the citizens of America and the world do the same.

As people throughout the nation try to come to grips with the sad news about
STS-
107, we urge people to heed the words of the family members of the
Columbia crew: "Although we grieve deeply, as do the families of Apollo I
and Challenger
before us, the bold exploration of space must go on. Once the root cause
of this tragedy is found and corrected, the legacy of Columbia must carry
on for the benefit of our children and yours."

June Scobee Rodgers, Founding Chairman of Challenger Center, stated:
"Without risks, there's no new knowledge, no discovery, no bold
adventure-all of which help the human spirit to soar. As all of the
Challenger families, in 1986, began the long journey towards peace and
understanding, we ask for patience and cooperation for the families and
their colleagues at this critical time. In respect for their loss,
students, parents, and teachers wishing to express their condolences to
the Columbia families are encouraged to do so at their local Challenger
Learning Center in the form of notes, cards, or mementos."
Vance Ablott, President and CEO of Challenger Center, added: "We extend to
the Columbia families our heartfelt sympathies during their time of need.
We at Challenger Center also believe, as President Bush has said, that
even in this time of great sadness, 'our journey into space will go on.'
And so we at Challenger Center will continue to use space as a theme to
inspire the next generation of explorers. We will continue to encourage
students in the studies of science, mathematics, and technology and we
will work to foster in them a long-term interest in those fields. We will
also tell them about seven more heroes who pushed the boundaries of human
knowledge in order to improve all life on Earth."

Nikki Bonnington
Principal Secretary
Challenger Center
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga