SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:33:45 -0500
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:42:59 -0500, Michael Doelle
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>ANdy wrote:
>
>>Maybe the battery life sensing is different on the PROs; I know it is
>notoriously difficult to accurately predict remaining charge for NiCad &
>NiMh cells.<
>
>I don't think the PROs *have* a real battery sensor. Appears to be a
simple
>countdown of some sorts.

Now THAT puts the entire matter into the "speculation" mode!  :-)

My response to Andy would have been, "I don't need to predict accurately
the remaining battery charge".  As long as that thing RUNS, the battery
is not dead.  It has been running for SEVERAL YEARS now.  Except for
the couple times it "locked out" (which is unacceptable for ANY
computer for any reason -- the built-in "drop dead" mode).

>Reason I suspect this: a few years ago Thom dropped his in the shower in
>Sipadan. It went into lockout and wouldn't talk to him anymore. He reset
>it using the PC interface and it came back to life. And, cello, back to
>100% battery reading.

That's NOT a true Uwatec "lock out" mode, which would not allow you
to reset, with any interface, for 24 hours.

It sounds like a "miss-sensing" of the battery power.

Uwatec algorithm is supposed to be "adaptive" to water temp, but I
don't think it's smart enough to tell a diver not to dive in SOAP
water.  :-)

-- Bob.