SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:57:22 -0800
--- David Strike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Monday, February 03, 2003 3:31 PM, Reef Fish
> wrote:
>
> > No question about that.  Had he not called others
> "callous son of a bitch"
> > (by implication) for feeling otherwise about the
> deaths of those
> > icedivers if anyone had called them a dumb ass, my
> sermon may have been
> > on a different topic for this Sunday.  :-)
>
> I read Mike's comments as a statement of fact about
> himself.  We're all the
> sum of our own experiences and most of us accept
> that our own view of the
> world may differ from that of another person.

I read the comments the same way and had no issue with
most of what Mike says. He's done the body recoveries
and seen first hand the effects on the survivors.

Economists are fond of saying that in the long run, we
are all dead. While there is no entirely happy way to
end your time on this Earth, I most definitely would
not want to die trapped underwater as my air supply
ran out.

(Of course there's the old joke about the narrator
wanting to die peacefully in his sleep like his Dad
did - not in terror like the passengers in his Dad's
automobile!)

Each diving related death adds to the public image of
diving as an extremely hazardous avocation. In that
context, it can be considered to be our business. It
does not give us the right to control others'
activities and how they conduct them, but it does give
us the right and maybe responsibility to discuss such
incidents.

My $.02 USD worth.

David H.