SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:27:38 +1100
On Friday, February 07, 2003 9:20 PM, Lee Bell wrote:

> > > I've done compass bearing swims in shallow water, no current,
> > > featureless, 90 degree corners, counting fin strokes. I, and my
> > > colleagues, all came up not remotely near where we started.

> > Ah!  No current, you say?  In that case you really do need to practice
> your
> > compass navigation - and pay a little more attention to your kicking
> > techniques and the affect that they have on your overall movement
through
> > the water column!  :-)

> Hmmm, I'm inclined to agree, but I've got no reason to gloat.

Mate!  I've snipped the rest of your post 'cause I have no reason to gloat
either!  After several years of saying - in my pre-dive briefing - something
like, "It's impossible to get lost at Shelly Beach providing you keep the
rocks to the right on the way out , and to the left on the way back!",  I
once got lost!!!!  Now I just tell people that it's difficult - but not
impossible - to get lost diving there!  :-)

(snip)
> Another interesting issue comes from Christian's statements.  If the
> visibility is so low that you can't tell if you're moving in a straight
> line, how would you know if there is current or not?

Depending on the current strength - and the degree of visibility, and seabed
composition (if you're close to it?) -  throw up a handful of silt, or watch
the direction of exhaust bubbles?  :-)

If you're in midwater with no visual references at all - which, I guess, is
what you're actually asking, (and that I was trying to avoid 'cause I didn't
have an answer!) - then you do have to ask yourself the question:  What am I
doing here? :-)))

Strike