SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
Julian Pool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:40:33 +1100
The 38th World Conker Championships were held on the village green in
Ashton, near Oundle, Northamptonshire (that's in England) on October 13th
2002. Winner of the men's final was Richard Swailes, 52, from Finedon,
Northants (England).  The winner of this year's women's trophy, Liz Gibson,
49, from Hurstpierpoint in West Sussex (England).

So it does appear that the Brits are still on top of this game.  However,
the previous woman's champion was French !!!

For those who wish to know more about conkers, the following site is a good
summary.
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html

Julian