SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:07:07 -0500
Hello S.E. Listers,

I've been pondering lately, why photography seems to be so much more popular
than video. If a picture says a thousand words, then video could say a
million words. So, why aren't there more people shooting video? Is it
because photography, which became accepted as an artform, entices people to
make thier own art? ...and video is not considered as art? Maybe people
think video is more complicated, and they prefer a more transportable
medium. If any body would like to offer an opinion on this, I'd be
interested.

But whatever the reason, I plan to buy a video camera and housing, probably
the Sony trv-950, and Ikelite housing. If there are any opinions out there,
I'd appreciate thoughts on my choice. For example, would it be an advantage
or disadvantage to have three CCDs? In the often monochromatic situations
found underwater, one CCD would handle this better. But, video lights used
with a three CCD camera would give better results. Also, has anybody used
Ikelite and Light and Motion housings for video cameras, and would be able
to make a comparison on how well they handled?

Thanks,
Brad