SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:21:07 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed" <[log in to unmask]>

> G'day Strike,
> Reminds me of the days I use to pack a camera around when hiking. If I had
the camera we saw NOTHING, if it was safely locked in the trunk. All manner
of woodland creatures flocked to use. Also, it's amazing how impatient the
wife & kiddies got while I was trying to get that perfect picture.
> Anywho, Sony had a clearance sale on the housings for the P-5, so I got
one. One of these days I need to get it wet. I suspect with the kind of vis
we get in the pacific northwet, an internal flash will do squat all for me.
I'm told some of the local u/w photogs are playing around with HID hand held
dive lights as lights for their pics. I haven't seen it done yet, but
suspect it would be quite the juggling act.
> Thanks,
> Ed

Hi Ed,

You may already know this, but some of these HID lights have a very narrow
beam of light. My Light Cannon is very bright, but so narrow, that it's
practically a laser. It might work ok for macro, but not for wide angle.
Also, the light has a definite blue color. And like you said, it would be a
juggling act, to use it as a photo light - if you don't have a third hand.

Brad