SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:08:25 -0500
David Strike wrote:

> It seems to me that that's *almost* true - but fin design also plays a
part.
> Some fins - regardless of the diver's skill and ability to adapt their
> finniing technique - are ill-suited to certain types of conditions or
> kicking styles.  Face-down on the surface (as when snorkelling or swimming
> back to a boat), for example, or frog-kicks?  :-)

I'm inclined to agree.  Personally, I can't stand Jet fins or, for that
matter, any vented fin.  They simply do not work right for me.  They
obviously aren't as bad as I consider them.  If they were, nobody would be
using them.  I suspect that they don't work for me mostly because I don't
get the feedback that my prefered fins offer.  I have a story to offer in
way of explanation.

I used to drive motorcycles.  As a former racer, I have a strong believe in
the value of protective gear, specifically helmets.  When I toured the
country on one, I passed through Texas, one of the states that did not
require helmets.  I figured I was good enough to be safe, so what the heck,
let the wind blow through my blond locks (that was before I turned largely
gray).  At any rate, a few minutes later, I noticed my motorcycle was not
handling right.  Something was definitely wrong.  I might be good, but no
amount of skill will make up for a malfunction at high speed.  Better put my
helmet back on.  Properly atirred once again, my motorcycle performed
perfectly.  Hmmm, said I, I wonder.  Helmet off, sure enough, the bike
didn't perform right.  Helmet on, it was fine.  It didn't take a lot to
realize that my skills included being acutely aware of everything that was
going on around me.  Feedback of all kinds contributed to my ability to
drive safely and, as it turned out, the noise and feel of wind were a big
factor in how I drove.  The same is true of fins.

Could I get used to it?  Sure.  Should I, well, I don't think so.  I simply
have no need.  I'm happy with what I have.

BTW, my Mares Quatro Power fins are, according to Mares, their version of a
freediving fin.  They are longer and wider than my TRE fins.  They are also
exceptionally poor for swimming on the surface.

So, back to my original statement.  A lot depends on the diver, some depends
on the fins . . . i.e. I agree with you.

Lee