SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2003

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 06:52:04 -0500
David Strike wrote

> Mate!  One thing that I've noticed is that the only fanatics and zealots
> that I've encountered in diving are those who hold contrary views to mine!
> :-)))

Since I know you at least occasionally read rec.scuba, I'm pretty sure
you've met a few zealots whose views are the same as yours . . . over, and
over, and over . . .   8^)

> (That's not a support for - nor a condemnation of - those who go in for
> table thumping whenever the term DIR is used.  It's just to highlight the
> fact that while I have a lot of respect for the system, I'm still not as
> personally DIR as I would like to be!)   :-))))

There are still a few thumpers around, but most of them have been forced to
admit to at least some stroke characteristics.  No matter how many times the
core people tell us they don't use computers, most eventually admit that
they do.  Once they admit to some strokery, they tend to get more reasonable
about the choices of others, at least those that can explain them logically.
After meeting Mika in Coz and diving with him here, I swung well into the
DIR equipment side of things.  I've since swung back slightly.  In this
respect, I'm as DIR as I chose to be.  I know why I adopted what and why I
didn't adopt other elements.

When it comes to concepts of backup versus buddy and buddy protocols, DIR
and I are not on the same page.  Their conclusions, as good as they may be
for them, do not fit my diving.  I've chosen differently, for reasons I
think I fully understand.  Every once in a while I get surprised.  Each time
that happens, it's a learning experience, usually a pleasant one.

Similarly, I do not agree with their fitness standards.  Like everybody,
including those in excellent shape, I'd like to be more fit, but my interest
is general, not diving related.  I'm fit enough to do everything I do in the
water.  Besides, this extra layer of fat is good insulation for a WWW that
does not own, and probably never will own, a dry suit.  8^)

Lee