HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:25:52 EST
Ken asks:

> (3)  As we close in on end-of-HP-sales just over nine
>  months from now, the Lab is wondering if there are any
>  "last call" low / medium effort, low risk enhancements
>  that the user community would like them to do.

Absolutely. Change the CIUPDATE setting in IMAGE to ON as the default. This
is the manner the setting should be set as IMAGE heads into the sunset (and
possibly a brighter future). Estimated lab effort: 3 minutes.

CIUPDATE is currently set to the ALLOWED condition -- the functional
equivalent to OFF because no one I'm sure has ever programmed an application
to take advantage of the ALLOWED setting.  CIUPDATE is set this way only
because CIUPDATE was the first enhancement done to IMAGE in 15 years and
everyone was being excessively cautious at the time, but I argued then that
it was not necessary, and it's certainly not necessary now.

Wirt Atmar