HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:35:07 -0800
There's clearly some misunderstanding of KSletton's specific request to
address this topic via the HP3000-L (as opposed to OPENMPE, which has an
allegedly differnet focus than those of us interested in MPE, but...

Maybe there's some misunderstanding of CIUPDATE?  (and maybe it's me ;-)
AFAIK,

Whether CIUPDATE's on or not, if you have >1 details with equivalent sort
items, the rest of the record counts in the sort at DBPUT time.  If you
update non-critical fields to the right of these sort items, you can screw
up the sequence of the sorted path.

I'd venture a SWAG that relying blindly on CIUPDATE to simply "keep things
right" is where pipple go wrong; I'd be willing to guess that all
CIUPDATE=ON does is a slightly enhanced DBUPDATE, amounting to "if
criticalitem changed, DBDELETE/DBPUT, else just DBUPDATE.

If it's any worse than that, something's really _broken_; if that's all it
is, it's just an oversight by CIUPDATE's creators.  Either way OFF is
probably safer, but not much; DELETE/PUT is the only way to be certain.  So
that "correct-direction search at DBPUT time" would be a worthwhile thing.

Tracy Pierce