HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 3

From:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:40:18 -0800
Cynthia - I know of a perfectly restored Connie on AZ - at least used to be.
I think John Travolta used to have one - for a large transport it sure has
beautiful lines!

If you see one fly at least weekly the owner must me independently wealthy -
no super wealthy - I cringe thinking first the overhaul cost of those huge
radials and with avgas at > $2 - how many GPH does a Connie require?

BTW at one of our closed Air Force bases - McClellan - they have the radar -
pre AWACS - version of the Connie - I know someone who used to fly them - 18
hour missions! I imagine your ears would be ringing for a good day after...

Bill

We, here in the Kansas City area, have the distinct privilege of having a
Connie or two at the old "downtown airport"...not the MCI - Kansas City
International Airport. It is not unusual to see one of these graceful planes
fly once a week or so....We also have an air show here every year and you
can actually board one and see how wonderful they are inside.