HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 3

From:
Cecile Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:29:44 EST
In a message dated 1/21/03 11:59:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< So then.... since a given claim is only for a single member, would it
 make sense to REPACK the database using the SORTED+ option, by MEMBER#
 first, and by CLAIM#, secondarily?  That way, retrieving service records
 by MEMBER# would be quick, as well as by CLAIM#.

If you repack on the MEMBER# chain, and each CLAIM# is for a single member,
would not all records for a given CLAIM# end up "pretty close" to each other,
even if not contiguous?  It seems to me that would make retrieval by CLAIM#
pretty fast too.  Am I missing something?

Cecile Chi