HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 3

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:28:17 -0800
Another issue with abandoning the absolute record number requirement,
besides performance, is how to accurately identify the record to be updated.
If the search item is not unique, which is often the case on Image details,
how do you make the choice?  There might be other items in the record that
could be used to distinguish a unique member of the chain, but that would
require some knowledge of the application, which would have to be
configurable in the shadowing product.  Another means would be to compare
the entire record.  Arguably, Image does not disallow duplication of even
the entire record, but in that case does it really matter if you update the
"wrong" one?  It's an interesting problem.  In either case, you would need
to read down the chain looking for the right record.  It could be pretty
costly in some databases!  You would need to consider shadowing performance
in the design of your database.