HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Ron Horner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:32:40 -0600
I don't think that there is a way to clean up the $stdlist from the
"expression false or true" messages.  That is the system's way of telling
you what processing occurred in the job.  The best thing to do is to look
over your job stream and clean the "if" statements up.  If you are using
STREAMX, from Vesoft, many of your conditions can be performed before the
job executes.  Here is an example.  We have a job that will run a given
program only if a certain file exists.  The job, in the raw, looks like
this.

!job test,manager.horner;outclass=lp,1
!
!if ![finfo("myfile.pub.horner","exists")]
!  Run prog1
!else
!  Run prog2
!endif
!
!eoj

When this job runs, it will check for the existence of MYFILE.PUB.HORNER.
If the file is there, the job will run PROG1.  PROG2 will only run if MYFILE
is not on the system.

With that said, the "if" condition in this job will be performed when this
job is executing.   With STREAMX, you can perform this test before the job
is submitted for execution.  Change the "!" to "::" on the if, else, and
endif lines.  So the job looks like this.

!job test,manager.horner;outclass=lp,1
!
::if ![finfo("myfile.pub.horner","exists")]
!  Run prog1
::else
!  Run prog2
::endif
!
!eoj

When you STREAMX this job, STREAMX will create a copy of your job based of
the results of the test.  What do I mean?  Let me explain.  STREAMX creates
a copy of your and then submits it to the system for execution.  You can
control what happens during this process.  Using ::IF, ::ELSE, and ::ENDIF
is one way to control the copying that STREAMX does.  In the above example,
if MYFILE.PUB.HORNER exists as STREAMX is processing my JCL.  This is what
STREAMX creates.

!job test,manager.horner;outclass=lp,1
!
!  Run prog1
!
!eoj

The RUN statement for PROG1 is in the job, but not for PROG2.  So we can say
that any "::IF" tests are performed at the time we STREAMX the job.  This is
different than the test is performed when the job runs.  I've built many of
these job streams.  You need help, get EXTREME.  Give me a call.

Ron Horner
Horner Consulting
www.hornerconsulting.com