HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:24:03 -0500
Depends what backup software you are using.

For example, I daily append my spoolfiles to a
backup tape using BackPack.  I can get about
45 appended spool file backups to a 90M DDS
tape before it wants another one.  (I think
the limit is 512 or 256 appends.)

It brings to mind a recurring issue I have
with Backpack, whenever I have more than
a dozen or so appended backups to one tape,
the console reports that I have a "dirty"
tape or that the tape drive needs cleaning.

So I clean.

What bugs me in the back of my mind is, it
BackPack "really" reporting a dirty tape or
is it hitting a flag that says 10 or more
rewinds means to report it as such?  This
is because I think it increments a counter
every time in his a new directory.

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors