HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:30:19 -0800
The processes in the E subqueue are already running at a lower priority than
any other processes on the system.  This means that they are getting CPU
resources only if no other processes need them.  Given that situation, why
would you want to impede them any further?  The EQ jobs are unlikely to be
causing any significant degradation to other processes.  That is true for
CPU, anyway.  If you are seeing other resource problems due to jobs in the C
queue, such as disc I/O or memory pressure, you will not be able to
alleviate them through changes to the TUNE settings.  You would have better
success by limiting the number of jobs.  Recent versions of the OS (starting
with either 6.0 or 6.5, I don't remember which) allow you to define multiple
job queues. You could define a separate queue for the jobs in the E
subqueue, and set a limit of 1 or 2 for that queue.

The only good way to accomplish your goal of slowing down the EQ jobs is to
use Workload Manager to limit the amount of CPU these jobs are permitted to
consume.  I would caution against the suggestion to alter the timeslice.
That is likely to increase dispatcher overhead, without significantly
contributing to your stated goal.  Workload Manager is an extra-cost
product, so it might not be available on your system.