HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Ira Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ira Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:47:11 -0600
 If this is a small amount of Protos,

you can consider just taking the COBOL code

and replacing its calls to Protos libraries

with other 3rd party APIs or hand-rolled code.

This may require a significant amount of hacking

on your part to change the structure of the code

assumed by Protos when generating for its libraries.

A serious downside is that code produced by most

code generators is designed to work rather than

to be readable; that will cause considerably

maintenance trouble down the road.

(as on example, by no means the least,

the generated code probably doesn't have any comments

in it.)

If there is a large amount of code, you might

consider using a different, custom Protos-to-anything (COBOL OK :-)

translator. Such a translator could be configured

to take into account the 3rd party libraries

you want to use, and could carry through

commentary, and generated code that was

more structured and more maintainable.

We supply translation infrastructure and customization services.

See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html

Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CEO 512-250-1018

www.semanticdesigns.com