HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Steve Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:32:11 -0600
 There are two kinds of real numbers on MPE/iX systems: HP 3000 reals
(aka compatability reals) which existed on the classic HP 3000 systems
and are designated in IMAGE as R4, and IEEE reals, which are designated
as E4.  Generally speaking, CM programs play with R4s and NM programs
play with E4s, although there is an intrinsic that will let you switch
back and forth between them, possible losing some precision along the
way,

The way you describe the problem, if I had to take a wild stab, I would
guess that your programs are really using IEEE reals, but you lied to
IMAGE and said they were HP 3000 reals.  IMAGE couldn't care less, but
Query is now confused.  It can't tell the difference; bits is bits.  If
that's the case, change the field type, but be careful not to do any
conversion of the fields themselves.

Hope this helps,

Steve Cooper