HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 2

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:32:09 -0600
 On Monday 13 January 2003 11:16 pm, Jeff Kell wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:33:30 -0600, Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > recently the ratio of "e-mails that work" vs. "e-mails that fail" has
> >worsened considerably.  So much so that now I'm resorting to posting via
> >the newsgroup :)
>
> Your mailer is in our spam filter (at least that MTA is).

Why am I not surprised? :)  I'm seeing failures for both MTA5 and MTA6 [and
I would have replied privately to you on this as well, but I see even my
direct messages to you fail, so "to the newsgroup" it is...]  I suspect a
good portion of pacbell's mailers are on one RBL or another  [note: last
september they "reconfigured" their e-mail servers, I suspect "someone blew
it" and for a while the servers were "open", hence they got on the RBLs...]
(*)

> I will try to
> fix it Real Soon Now but since I am in New Orleans and slumming for
> internet access, it may take me a few days.  Sorry...

No great rush -- obviously this works [and, ironically or otherwise, I do
get the "your message has been delivered to all 800-ish members" in
response to posts here...]

> Sorry for the "collateral damage".

It was the hit-or-miss nature of it that got me curious.  Of course, by the
time it DOES make it "to the list", the list turns around and sends
[essentially] a "new" message in return, so I cannot see which computers
"work" vs. which ones fail.

Tom

(*) I suppose I'm not entirely "lilly white" when it comes to e-mail servers
being "properly secured from relaying" -- "years ago" when I first had DSL
I came home to find some "strange messages" on my redhat console -- turns
out I had been "root-kitted" :(  but it looks like it was some trivial
stuff -- no real indication of a major "mass mailing" had occured, just
some 'bots to monitor an IRC channel.  I was only slightly annoyed to have
been "cracked" -- if they had asked, I probably would have put the 'bots up
myself for them :)   after all, "it was only IRC..." :)

[nowadays I wouldn't be so quick to add a 'bot, knowing that they can be
used as DDoS controllers and such, but that's the nature of the change that
has occured on the 'net...]