HP3000-L Archives

January 2003, Week 1

From:
Gary Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:52:29 -0400
I thought this would be the prefect opportunity to tell my Christmas OS
story.
Nana bought my boys an XBox for Christmas (with a network adapter). I set up
the box plugged in the network cable called my isp/cable company to add the
Mac address so I can connect. They do their bit then I try to register for
the online gamming after a number of unsuccessful tries I give up and call
the XBox support. The guy on the other end puts me through the same things I
tried and asks a few things then puts me on hold. About 10 minutes latter he
returns with the solution from their escalation support. The Xbox does not
like the cable modem I have and I need to hook it up to a router. Well it is
Christmas eve I cannot get a router. Next suggestion hook it up to my pc and
turn on internet connection sharing. I then explained I run windows ME. The
response was well ICS does not work correctly on ME so I should upgrade my
operating system. Thanks for nothing was my response. I the called back my
ISP and explained the problem and their response was What????? They then
double checked on their end and discovered the Data Base was not updated
correctly and now the XBox works correctly.
The moral of the story.......gotta love Microsoft Solutions.