UTCSTAFF Archives

January 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:16:24 -0500
Dear Colleague,

Many of us heard the report of last week's poll by ABC News and the
Washington Post that concern over states' finances is almost universal all
across the country.  The poll found 41 per cent of the adults polled
declaring their state's fiscal condition as "very serious". Another 45 per
cent of Americans felt their state's fiscal condition was "fairly
serious".  Only 12 per cent of the nation felt that their state's fiscal
condition was "not too serious".

Tennessee falls somewhere among the views of those  96 per cent.  We need
to look again at reducing our reliance upon state appropriations.  The
Governor and the Commissioner of Finance and Administration have instructed
the University of Tennessee to create a plan for their consideration that
would reduce, in our case, 2.5% or 5% of the roughly $40,000,000 state
appropriations expected through this fiscal year.

Our task will be to create a plan to cut our planned expenditures by
$1,000,000 or $2,000,000 in the next five months.  I have asked the Vice
Chancellors to look at current budgets and suggest options to the
University Budget Committee on Tuesday of next week.  Vice Chancellor
Richard Brown has, by other Raven e-mail, notified you of time and place
for that meeting.

President Shumaker has articulated the university's general response to be
a part of the solution, not the problem, in helping Tennessee face once
again its fiscal crisis.  On this campus, you are amazing at figuring out
how to cope with revenue shortfall.  You have come to be good at it.

I know that we will work successfully together in creating a plan to meet
Tennessee's challenge.  So much momentum is underway at Chattanooga.  I
will appreciate your meeting with me next Tuesday to help create the UTC plan.

Thanks.

Bill