SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2003

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:51:05 -0500
Lee Bell wrote:

> Jeff Kell wrote:
>
> > A sergeant major, perhaps?  Ounce for ounce, they're one of the most
> > territorial and aggressive little beasties I've seen.  Especially when
> > you get around "purple sand" -- their nests.
>
> Not even close, but you're on the right track.  The sergeant majors are
> aggressive only when guarding their nest when they are every bit as
> aggressive as you suggest.  The rest of the year, they're downright
> civilized.

Yep, they've nibbled my reg and mask, right "up in your face" :-)
I discovered this years ago on CZM when the ex-wife went on a dive
outing with me.  Between dives they tied up to the buoy at Playa
Corona, and she set off to snorkel, only to start screaming about
ten seconds in the water, surrounded by sergeants and chubs.  I jumped
in to investigate and found several nests.  In retrospect, should have
let them have their way with her :-)

> They're just about the only of the damsel fish that would share
> my aquarium with others.  Several of their damselfish relatives are
> agressive all the time.  The bicolor and beau gregory are both higher on the
> list of ounce for ounce most aggressive than the sergeant major.

I never thought I had the expertise to try a saltwater aquarium, only
freshwater, so I'm sure there are many species I've never seen.  Was
only talking about my in-water observations.

Jeff