HP3000-L Archives

December 2002, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:10:15 -0600
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326815

(I found this in 11 seconds at the MS web site.  I went to
support->knowledge base, selected Windows XP and typed in cryptographic
service.)

SYMPTOMS
When you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), you may receive the
following error message:
Service Pack 1 Setup could not verify the integrity of the file. Make sure
the Cryptographic service is running on this computer
CAUSE
This issue occurs because either Cryptographic Services is set to Disabled
for Startup type or there is log file or database corruption in the
%Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, set Cryptographic Services to Automatic for Startup
type. If this does not resolve the issue, stop Cryptographic Services, and
then rename the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder. To do so, follow
these steps:
1. Start the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
2. Double-click Services.
3. Right-click Cryptographic Services, and then click Properties.
4. Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.
5. Install Windows XP SP1 again. If the problem persists, go to Step 6.
6. Click Start, and then click Run.
7. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
8. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after
each line:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

9. Type exit to close the command prompt, and then install Windows XP SP1
again.

Denys...