HP3000-L Archives

December 2002, Week 1

From:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:31:47 -0600
 On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:01:17 -0600 (Central Standard Time), Richard
Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In my opinion, why not legalise all drugs.  Strangely we allow people to
>Ski, Sky dive, expeditions to the Poles, climb mountains, which are all very
>dangerous, yet, the excuse is, it's their choice, they take the risk.  Why
>is this not applied to drug use.  It's my life, surely I should be able to
>choose for myself.

There's a similar thing in the way that councils and the government
will promote pedal cycles but not motorcycles for beating congestion.
The reasoning is that although both modes of transport can reduce your
life expectancy due to accidents, the benefits of cycling outweighs it
in terms of health.  The same thing applies to most sports - the net
health benefit is positive.  i.e. there's a overall increase in your
life expecatncy due to the benefits of excercise.

I don't think you could say that about drug use.

Maybe it should be up to the individual - I'm just telling you the
governments  reasoning behind allowing "dangerous" sports.

>Make it all legal, save Billions on Vice squads, equipment, customs
>detection.  Stop the money funding more serious crime.  Improve the quality
>of the drugs to prevent overdoses and invest in educating people on the
>subject.   Allow poorer countries to produce it as a valuable export.
>Effectively control the problem.

I agree with Hollands approach.  I wouldn't want to legalise hard
drugs as it's bound to increase the usage and I don't think that's a
good idea.

>The US approach, Historically has been to have a very aggressive, zero
>tolerance approach, yet, I believe it has the highest drug use (per person)
>in the western world.  Clearly that approach doesn't work.
>
>Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, why should it work for drugs.

I agree - it won't work - see subject line ;-)

--
http://www.wadmag.org.uk - Windsor & District MAG
http://www.nmmcc.co.uk - Non-Members MCC