SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:36:28 +1100
It's always been one of my life's ambitions  - having heard the sound of
their music in places that have impacted on my development - to see the
Beach Boys live.  :-)

Last week, Brian Wilson was in Sydney.  Sylvia bought tickets, (bearing in
mind that she's never been a Beach Boys fan) to see him at the State
Theatre.  (Almost next door to the Hilton, where Bob & Sue were staying
during their visit to Sydney).

Right from the start, it looked as though every former
surfer/hippie/nogoodnik from the 'sixties had dragged themselves out of
their cryogenic chambers.  But after five minutes into the show the
unbelievers were sold!  (It's been at least forty years since I've seen an
ENTIRE audience jump to its feet and begin dancing and diddy-bopping. )
:-)))

(I did have the dubious distinction of knocking out one person when my
flying elbow made contact with their jaw.  But apart from that one incident,
it was a violence-free, glorious reminder of some great times! )  :-)))

I tried to tie this in with diving - but couldn't!  I promise to get Julian
to write a dive report about tomorrow morning's early dive just to make up
for my lapse! :-)

Strike