SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:30:10 +1100
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:12:56 -0600, John Nitrox wrote:
(snips of some useful and, errr, sobering stuff) ;)

> Though Christian isn't entirely forthcoming about how he clears
> his ears, it sounds as if it is through "Voluntary Tubal Opening"

You're quite right, that's exactly what I do. I can open those tubes,
and keep them open whilst breathing, virtually at will. Actually it
means that when I speak I can hear myself through the tubes more so
than via the eardrums. I'm used to it now but the first time it
happened, that hollow booming sound which arrived just before that
more normal sound gave me a helluva shock.

> which
> requires a great amount of practice and cannot be achieved by all
> divers.

I'm not sure about all that much practice, it was so long ago that I
can't even remember the practice, but I regularly perform the
exercise, several times daily in fact, if only to keep those muscles
in shape.

I really can't recommend this procedure enough. I usually get
absolutely *no* ear squeeze during descent because those tubes are
always open. It's especially useful if you've got hands full of gear
like cameras.

Now before anyone weighs in asking why I didn't describe this before,
I was unsure how to do so.

> As I recall this is discussed in an excellent book by an
> Australian (I can't remember his name right now, and the basement is in
> chaos, but it's not Dr. Carl Edmonds) that describes in detail many of the
> popular techniques, e.g. Edmonds and Lowry, and maneuvers, e.g. Toynbee and
> Frenzel, for clearing the ears, but keep in mind that clear ears do not
> obviate the risks of congestion.

Had a look but couldn't find the one you're referring to. I'm sure
Strike will come up with the answer.

"Voluntary Tubal Opening" will not necessarily clear the sinuses if
congested although it "may" assist in doing so. All I do know is that
I can't remember the last time I complained about not being able to
properly, and comfortably, compensate.

The beauty of the technique is that, unlike the Valsalva, these
muscles are not powerful enough to "force compensate". Yes, they can
overcome a very slight imbalance but that is all and if that happens
to me, I just go up a little way and start afresh.

Cheers,

Christian