SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2002

Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:00:17 -0600
Day 5 dive 1 - Sante Rosa.  Yawn until we get to the surface and the captain
is dancing like he has to find the john right now.  Turns out the other LU
boat had a problem. DM passed out at 35 FSW.  They had no O2 and were headed
towards us as fast as they could go.  RN and I got her on O2 and the DM on
our boat got the medics to the beach double   quick but it is good to know
the skills kick in when you need them.  She (the DM) will be OK.  Not DCS
just a reverse block that messed with her equilibrium.

Dive 2 since they were short a DM and Horacio had a head cold, I was the DM
on the second boat.  We did Las Palmas since it is a nice easy dive (and did
not give me much to think about - keeping track of 5 other divers when you
dont do it every day is enough.)  Turned up a few crabs and a pipe horse.
Lots of morays.  DIvers were happy and I got them all back on the boat.

Day 6 - More excitement
Dive1 - Devil's Throat - a dive a dislike but there is always someone on the
boat that wants to do it.

Dive 2 - Cedar Pass.  Found a big crab having lunch.  It was not going to
stop stuffing its face while we watched either.  Bunch of pipe horses.
Cryptic crab, box crab, lots of other small stuff and the ususal Cedar Pass
assortment of chubs tho the only grouper I saw I would have speared at
another time and place - just the right size.

On the ride back, seems the high speed run from Columbia took its toll on
boat 2.  It was broken down.  So we got to tow it back.  Made it a long day.

CH