HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 4

From:
Fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:21:15 -0700
On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 01:36 PM, Wirt Atmar wrote:

> Kim writes:
>
>> hmmmm I see nothing amiss here.....
>>
>>  remember more people believe the "creation" view of life, than the
>>  "evolution' view.  This per the San Jose newspaper.....
>
> It's important to understand that coming to a proper representation of
> the
> way the world works has never been a matter of public opinion or
> democratic
> voting. In a trial to determine the level of scientific education in
> the
> general populace, a few years ago the Annenberg/CPB project
> interviewed 23
> randomly selected graduates, alumni and faculty at a Harvard graduation
> ceremony.
>
> Twenty-one of the 23 people interviewed completely misrepresented the
> correct
> answer to two simple astronomy questions: why does the moon have
> phases? and
> why does it get colder in the winter?, while several of them boasted
> about
> the extent of their science education. Most said that the earth got
> colder in
> the winter because it moved away from the sun.
>
> Presumably these are among the best educated people in the United
> States.
> Given these numbers, you can hardly imagine that most people would not
> believe in special creation, ufo's, and witchcraft -- or any other odd
> thing
> that they were told as a child.

Like the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause and such. Remember, many of them
also "believe" that the War on Terrorism will succeed in increasing our
"security".

FW

"We are in the process of doing things in defense of our society which
may very well produce a society which is not worth defending." - John
LeCarre