HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 4

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:44:49 -0800
Michael Baier wrote:

>This is quiet interesting. How come we do not got any names
>or hear from any IT-managers, programmers in those companies?
>All "information" is provided either by HP or by consultants.
>I'd rather hear from a shop that made the migration and hear
>about there experience. Specially when they did the migration themself
>with their own software.
>So, are there any shops out there that did a migration in the
>last years from an HP3000 ==> HP9000?
>Are you willing to share your experience?

At HPWorld'02 I went to a session given by the IT manager of a
payroll services firm that migrated from the 3000 to hp-ux/9000
using Oracle. They had a successful migration and are glad they
did the migration. BTW - they migrated prior to the EOL announcement.

I also know of others who have migrated but who have asked they not
be publicly discussed. Usually this is for competitive reasons and
I know causes HP and others (partners) problems with being able to
point to actual examples of migrations. That then is a problem for
those trying to evaluate the services/features/etc of a particular
migration solution.

I think the next 2-3 years of Solution Symposium and HPWorld events
will be full of in-process and/or 'we did it' presentations.

duane percox